Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On the Job

It becomes obvious that one is not normal as soon as they decide that 8 hours of manual labor plus a speed workout is fun. It became obvious for me about an hour ago after I finished said workout with a smile on my face.
The day started at four AM when my father and I left the house for a four hour car ride to south Florida to install hurricane shutters (if you live in Florida and you want protection against hurricanes, we're your guys). This then followed with the actual installation of said shutters which turned into an eight hour ordeal as we wrestled with vegetation and hundred pound accordion shutters. Then it was an hour drive to the hotel where we ate dinner, my dad fell asleep, and I ventured into the night for some intervals.
How does a runner in the middle of an urban area with no access to an adequate running facility do repeats? Easy- do laps around the parking lot.
I took a walking tape measure (commonly referred to as "the wheeley thing") and a rock and chalked different marks into the asphault. It wasn't a MONDO track, but it would have to do
I have a tendency to not skip workouts, even when the circumstances would compel a "normal" runner to throw in the towel and vow to tack on makeup mileage in the next few days. It could be my determination, or my foolhardiness, or my naiveté; or most likely a combination of the three. Regardless of the subconcious mechanisms driving my modus operendi, the result was me jogging out 15 minutes in the pool before hitting the asphalt for a modified ladder.
The plan was for 3 sets of a descending ladder starting at 400 and ending in 100 (400,300,200,100) with a minimal recovery. The first set was spectacular (69, 49, 31, 15)! It laid groundwork for a progressively faster final two sets (67, 48, 29, 15) (65, 48, 28, 14).
I find myself feeling a complex myriad of emotions afterwards that range from pride to excitement. However, dwarfing them all is sheer exhaustion and the craving for sleep. Who am I to argue with my body?

The Workout: 3x(400,300,200,100) at (67-70, 49-52, 29-32, 14-16). Recovery was minimal and equated to about half the disance ran. Non-stop movement, jogging through breaks even during the 1:30 set break. 15 minute warm up and cool down.
The Purpose: To maintain and further sharpen the remnants of my track speed while working on maintaining a fast pace even when tired- hence the minimal recovery time. These workouts will make a fast 5k pace feel much easier.
Quote of the Workout: "Well, that was fun"- upon finishing the last one and slogging to my room like a zombie.

1 comment:

  1. Accordion Shutters are easy and faster to build up even in the day-to-day busy life.

    Accordion Shutters

    ReplyDelete