Sunday, June 19, 2011

A (much needed) day of rest.

It may seem counterintuitive to become faster by resting, but I kind of enjoy paradoxical logic. Especially when it actually serves a purpose. Honestly, I think runners have 2 separate and equally demanding work ethics. Work hard. And don't work at all. To try and find a gear in the middle (the fabled "work easily") is designated lunacy- like Bigfoot training for a marathon.
I assure you, that gear exists. We utilize it often but aren't aware of our usage. Think back to the tenuous warm-up jogs before an anticipated race or workout. Or that favorite speed of utterly exhausted athletes just trying to finish their day, "The Wog." But I digress.
At first I hated the idea of easy days but today I find my self not just infatuated with it, but smack in love. Why? It could be from the steady increase in mileage as I work toward my preseason peak (currently at 48 miles, eventually be at 60). It could be from the new stretches I've incorporated into my daily routine. Or it could be the 10.5 miles of rolling clay hell I endured yesterday. My mind tells me it is probably a combination of the three. My muscles scream that they don't bloody care what the reason is they just need to relax. In my experience, it is best to let the muscles get their way lest they lock up on you on race day.
So today I boldly went were few runners dare to go. Into the pool for some aqua-jogging. A half hour of zero pounding on my muscles should make them feel better and ready for a few more days of work. Plus, I get to feel like I've accomplished something today. Everybody wins!

The Workout: 30 minutes of aqua-jogging.
The Purpose: To experience the equivalent aerobic effort of a relaxed four mile run without any added stresses to my legs.
Thought of the workout: "Jesus, I thought running quarter mile laps was tedius. 100 foot laps are way worse!"x

No comments:

Post a Comment